The following is a letter I wrote to our Songhai Team as 2011 draws to a close. I wanted to share it with you as well:
Have you ever noticed that it’s hard to see growth, at least on a daily basis? To just look at Isabelle I would say she pretty much looks the same as she did this time last year. However, behind our kitchen door we keep a chart to measure her height. It is when we compare today’s mark with last years that I see how much she has grown in a year.
It’s hard to see growth in ministry too. When you’re in the trenches day in and day out, it’s tough to pause and look back on where you’ve come from. It’s tempting to think, “We’re where we were this time last year.”
Now the problem is that we don’t have a spot behind a kitchen door to measure this kind of growth. That’s why I’m writing this. I hope to put a couple "markers on the door" of Songhai ministry to be able to see what God has done this past year.
Here are just some of the highlights:
· Two villages that had previously had NO believers now have a witness. Read that sentence again. Two villages that for their entire existence have not had anyone believe or anyone to be a light now have a Gospel witness!
· 27 men and women prayed to receive Christ and were baptized!
· The Gospel was clearly preached in 16 different villages.
· Two men, both in their 50’s and from different villages share the same testimony: “I’ve been waiting 20 years for someone to tell me about Jesus.”
· A new long-term unit joined our team.
· We hosted 12 volunteer teams and 2 summer interns.
· We established a three-year partnership with Living Hope Baptist Church who will be sending 4 teams a year to work on “The Road to Karma.”
· We re-upped our partnership with FBC Hurst as they continue to minister on the Mehanna Road.
· We established a new partnership with Mount Olive Baptist Church.
· We created the E2E ministry strategy and implemented it in all our work.
· We trained and sent out our first short term national partners.
It is clear to see how powerfully God has moved this past year. Thank you for your faithfulness and your obedience to engage, equip, and empower the Songhai!
Together, advancing the Kingdom of Christ in Songhai lands,